There's so many things to love about the cooler temperatures rolling in: lazy Sunday mornings at home, afternoons around the fire pit, and UGGs and chunky knits making their annual comeback. But another favourite of ours amongst the UGG Since 1974 team, is slow cooker season. There's something so satisfying about putting on a hearty meal in the morning, enjoying the scents wafting through the house all day as your hard work slowly bubbles away, and serving up a delicious plate of winter goodness as the sun goes down.
We've tried a few slow cooker recipes in our time, but this one is our pick for the winter season, and the best part is, the preparation is minimal. Plus, chances are you'll have most of the pantry ingredients at home. So take yourself to a journey through France this Sunday and with very own Beef Bourguigon recipe, best enjoyed with a pair of our slippers on UGGs on foot. We wouldn't put you onto a bad thing, so trust us when we tell you this one will hit the spot.
Beef Bouguignon (Slow Cooker) by UGG Since 1974
Ingredients: [Serves 6]
- 1.3kg of beef chuck steak, diced into 2-3cm cubes
- 5 slices of bacon, finely chopped
- 1 cup of red wine (whatever you like to drink, because you'll want to polish off the rest with dinner)
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- A handful of thyme sprigs
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 400g mushrooms, sliced (we use Swiss Brown)
- Parsley, freshly chopped for garnish
- Cooking oil, for browning meat
- Potatoes (for mashing, to serve with the dish)
- Add a few tablespoons of oil to a pan over medium high heat.
- Crisp the bacon in a pan and remove with a slotted spoon into the slow cooker.
- Brown the steak and mushrooms in a pan in batches, browning all sides of the meat. Set aside with the bacon in the slow cooker.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the red wine to the pan. Allow it to simmer and reduce.
- Slowly add chicken broth, tomato sauce, and soy sauce. Slowly whisk in the flour.
- Add the sauce to the slow cooker and stir through the meat.
Add garlic, thyme, and carrots to the slow cooker. Give it a good stir and cook on low until beef is tender for 8-10 hours or high for 6 hours.
Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with mashed potatoes and a nice glass of your favourite red wine.
Slip on your favourite boots or slippers and enjoy!